[78-L] Just sharing

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 18 20:38:00 PST 2008

Hey all,

I always enjoy reading 78 record mailing horror stories, so thought I'd
share two:

I received a big package of records today from Mark Berresford in the UK.
When I saw the package, I was shocked. One whole side was nearly mashed
flat.  Apparently the box had gotten thoroughly soaked (can't imagine how -
it hasn't been raining here) and then half-flattened, with the flat side a
complete mushy mess of cardboard and Styrofoam.  I opened the box with great
trepidation - all the records were wet on one side, but no labels were
touched and none were broken.  I had to discard all the soaked sleeves and
let the records dry, but they are none the worse for their ordeal.

On the other hand, last week I got a box from France with three 12-inch
Victrolac RCA Program Transcriptions and one 10-inch shellac one.  In an LP
mailer. With no sleeves on any of the records and the 10-incher sliding
around loose.  All of the 12-inchers had a dime-sized bite taken out of the
rim.  The 10-inch disc was fine, amazingly.  The dealer had assured me that
he knew all about packing 78s, blah, blah, blah.  And now he's accusing me
of mishandling the package since there is NO WAY his packing could have been
at fault.

Thanks again,

Dave