[78-L] Story of the LP

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Tue Nov 18 06:47:15 PST 2008

It looks lower-case to me, but if you really think capitalization matters on a trademark, you could try marketing a software product called WINdows or winDOWS or WiNdOwS and see how far you get!

--
Steve.

There's a difference between a trade mark and a word.  I've seen lots of transport trucks around with the initials "CBC" on them which have nothing to do with Mother Corp.  I could give several other examples.  If a company called "Harry's Moving Vans" had HMV on the side, nobody would stop them.  I never thought of the "L" and "P" as being anything but capital letters but the way they're positioned, I guess the "P" could be either.  I found this entry in sometimes dubious Wikopedia:

.....in 1948 Columbia introduced the Long Playing microgroove (LP) record (sometimes in early advertisements Lp) format, .....

  The trade mark comes in when you join the horizontal line of the "L" to the middle horizontal line of the "P" to make a single character or logo.

db