[78-L] Microgroove 78s

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 17 10:02:08 PST 2008

There were other microgroove 78s at that time, including Bell, some 7-inch
yellow plastic Party Records that look like Goldens (hope they didn't get into
the wrong grubby hanes), and premiums pressed by Columbia of Frankie Laine, Jo
Stafford and probably others. Some indicated microgroove, some didn't. It may
be that they figured that many folks were using 3-speed players and didn't know
enough to change the needle anyway, or were using those 2-mil "universal"
needles. Near-mint Bell pressings can sound great with a 1-mil stylus.

dl