[78-L] Microgroove 78s

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 04:12:39 PST 2008

This is what I would call an "ultra microgroove 78"

http://www.box.net/shared/xdzzfdhhzq

It's 7 inches and runs for 3:08 at 78 rpm. While it was played at some point by a bad
needle, so that may be a factor, it has terrible problems with transience of signal and,
depending on the tracking force you try, sometimes even achieves a "print-through" like
effect.
I'm curious as to what kind of stylii the producers of these records were expecting people
to play these things back with. It dates from the 50s, and would have been a record
mailed out from this ministry in exchange for a donation. As this ministry was based in
South Bend, IN I suspect the target audience would have been rural, not an area where
most folks had sophisticated kinds of playback equipment.
Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com