[78-L] Experimental Electrics on Autograph Label

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Nov 17 08:45:46 PST 2008

From: yves francois <aprestitine at yahoo.com>
> Hello Al, you are correct. The Autographs at that time were electric,
> for certain the Merrit Brunis on Autograph is electric, as are the
> Morton's and Oliver/Morton duets. There is also a test pressing
> from circa 1921/2 that is probably of Autograph provenance of an
> "unknown black Chicago band" playing a wild "Muscle Shoals Blues"
> on a Ragtime to Jazz reissue on the Timeless label (volume 2),
> so Marsh was experimenting for a while with the electric recording process.

I don't doubt it because there were others experimenting with electrical
recording between 1920 and 1924, but if they do not know what band it
is, how do they date it that early?  Do you know any details?  By the
way, there was another Chicagoian experimenting with electrical
recording in 1921-22.  Benjamin Franklin Miessner was doing it at
Brunswick, but no details are known other than a letter to the AES
Journal he wrote in the 60s.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: simmonssomer <simmonssomer at comcast.net>