[78-L] A few REview items that didn't make my column for December "In The Groove"

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 07:57:48 PST 2008

Because of space, etc, two items I was reviewing for "in The Groove" for my holiday column had to be deleted. I thought they were important enough to give them exposure, so I'm copying they below to share with you.

Enjoy!

Steve Ramm

New CDs and DVDs for Jazz fans:

Both jazz fans and country fans will love the recent collaboration between trumpeter Wynton Marsalis and country music icon Willie Nelson. When their two performances at Jazz From Lincoln Center in January 2007 were recorded and released by Blue Note this summer, the album jumped to the top of the jazz, pop and country charts. Thanks to Eagle Eye Media, the “match made in heaven” is available to see, as well as to hear, on Willie and Wynton” Live From Lincoln Center. The 85-minute film (not video) contains extended solos and, on hot numbers like Louis Jordan’s “Caldonia”, Nelson plays his acoustic guitar as though he was always playing jazz. The camera moves very quickly and rarely spends more than five seconds on an image, which is the only defect I could find. This is an historic moment and the performances of old pop and jazz standards create a DVD  I’ll certainly watch again.

Bridging the old and the new is a reissue from Blue Note under the Rudy Van Gelder banner. Jimmy Smith Plays Fats Waller was originally recorded in 1962 and has the late jazz organist Smith playing seven titles most associated with Waller, who played the organ as well as piano. Smith took Waller’s 20s standards to a new audience. Since it all fit on an Lp disc, and there are no bonus tracks, it’s short for a CD, but fun to hear and Waller fans will enjoy the remastered sound.