[78-L] Pseudononymous Camden LPs

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 16 21:13:34 PST 2008

Didn't they give out a story about these artists accepting lower royalty rates?
Plus there might have been a desire to keep the cheaper recordings from
competing with full-priced albums by the same artists, although pseudonyms
weren't used on their popular albums.

Here's something from Wikipedia, for what it's worth:

RCA Camden originally issued some classical recordings using the real names of
the orchestras. Then, to avoid competing with modern recordings by the same
orchestras, they adopted a series of pseudonyms. Thus, the St. Louis Symphony
Orchestra became known either as the Savoy Symphony Orchestra or the Schuyler
Symphony Orchestra, the RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra (a New York "pickup"
orchestra, drawn from players in the NBC Symphony Orchestra and the New York
Philharmonic Orchestra) became the Golden Symphony Orchestra, the Boston
Symphony Orchestra became the Centennial Symphony Orchestra, the London
Philharmonic Orchestra became the Stratford Symphony Orchestra, the Chicago
Symphony Orchestra became the Cromwell Symphony Orchestra, the San Francisco
Symphony Orchestra became the World Wide Symphony Orchestra, and the
Philadelphia Orchestra became the Warwick Symphony Orchestra.[1] The New York
City Symphony Orchestra, created by Leopold Stokowski in the 1940s, recorded
for RCA Victor and some of its recordings were issued on Camden under the name
"Sutton Symphony Orchestra," not to be confused with a British orchestra with
the same name.

--All early Camden orchestral LPs that I've seen use pseudonyms..the real
identities came on later re-pressings, although Leonard Bernstein was
identified as conductor on CAL 196 (of three pseudonymous orchestras).

dl