[78-L] Can someone help this collectore re: Home Recordings like Record Disc Co?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Nov 16 13:42:02 PST 2008

From: Jeffrey Lichtman <swazoo at rcn.com>
> Have you tried demagnetizing the records? A degausser (the type used
> for televisions) might work.   - Jeff Lichtman

The discs are not magnetized at all.  It is the phono-cartridge that is
magnetized.  The cartridge magnets are pulling it to the steel discs.
You can't demagnetize the cartridge's magnets!!!

Grado used to make a very high quality cartridge they called "Solid
State".  Actually it was a high compliant ceramic cart that was low
level with a flat audio output that could be used with regular magnetic
cart inputs.  I used that on steel based discs.  They might still be
making something like it. You might also look to see if you could find a
SonoTone or Ronnette cartridge.  They had good sound quality for their
day and for this purpose.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com