[78-L] Monteux, Antar Symphony, RCA Red Seal DM-1203, date?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 16 12:00:53 PST 2008

Michael Biel wrote:
> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>
>> Victor probably stopped issuing complete works as 78 sets in 1950, pushing the
>> unwashed masses towards the 45, with only Lanza, Cast Albums and some Boston
>> Pops singles (and other one-offs) continuing to appear on Red Seal 78s.  dl
>
> They issued the 1950 Eleanor Roosevelt/Koussivitsky BSO Peter and the
> Wolf on all three speeds.  You get bigger pictures and better sound with
> the 78 set.  I have the Boston Pops "Look Sharp, Be Sharp" on a New
> Orthophonic High Fidelity 78.  These later 78 pressings use that
> fantastically quiet shellac.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

The last 3 volumes of Romberg Conducts Romberg were issued on LP and 45 but may
have been assigned 12-inch 78 numbers which weren't issued..I have the sheets
for them somewhere around here, from the good old days when we had Vince
Giordano in the BMG Archives (sniff).

Look Sharp on shellac? I've had it twice in a glossy sleeve on a vinyl pressing!