[78-L] Newbie comment

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Nov 14 20:37:12 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "P G C" <re_p_g_c at yahoo.com>
>I joined this list just a few weeks ago.
> My main interest was to find some discography of old discs I found in my
> family archives.
> Since, I have read most messages, resulting in great satisfaction and
> learning.
> I want to congratulate all members of the list, is much more active of
> what I thought, been formal, most members have a notable sense of humor
> and a lot of expertise.
> Keep it this way.
> I have a few questions:
> Is there an archive of messages? (For a newbie and to consult)
> When the list started? (Maybe in a different form, like a "news group")
> Who were the founders?
> Regards...
> '''
> (0 0)
> ___,,,^..^,,,__/----oOO---(_)---OOo---

1) Ron Fial, our brave and fearless leader, has done his best to assemble an
archive of 78-L posts...! 78-L was orginally on a Cornell University e-mail
list, but then bounced around a bit until Ron established 78online.com where
the list currently "lives!"

2) I joined in 1999, and it was up and running by then! I defer an accurate
answer to those who (1) recall...and (2) haven't yet dropped over dead...?!

3) No freakin' idea wotsoever...?!

78-L is essentially a digital version of the old (AND LAMENTED!!)
Record Research Magazine...! They would publish questions in one
issue, and then publish all the replies in the next (or later?!) issue!

What the science of discography needs is a carefully-combined
archive of 78-L messages (the bad puns could ALSO be collected,
but stored in a different archive...?!).

Steven C. Barr