[78-L] Hello and a question

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 14 13:31:45 PST 2008

Stokowski asked the same question, and his stuff in the early to mid 30s WAS
faded. Often at the worst possible time, as in the Rachmaninoff Rhapsody where
fades occur in mid-note, to say nothing of mid-variation, often with not enough
of the overlapped note at full volume to permit a good join (believe me, I've
dealt with this one a few times). HMV actually dubbed that entire album, very
successfully, to get rid of those fades and end the sides at natural breaks.
They were so successful you'd swear they had a master source to work from, and
considering that Victor did try recording continuous works on film, that would
have made sense (except that it definitely is dubbed from 78s, since they
missed getting one join perfect).

dl