[78-L] Hello and a question

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Fri Nov 14 13:25:25 PST 2008

I don't understand this.
Back in the 30's and earlier, sound engineers for film knew about and
used the segue, cross-fading and other basic tools of the trade. Why the
hell did the major labels chop, dice and rice material that was longer
than 3 or 4 minutes, especially on album sets or 2 sided records? Why
not start the second disc cutter before the first cutter was finished
and then fade out/in so there was just a little overlap, and thereby no
missing notes, bars, movements, etc.?
Makes no sense... unless they were worried about automatic players. Even
so, it still makes no sense.
I guess you don't have to have brains to be a butcher.

*******