[78-L] Billboard charts

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Nov 11 20:29:23 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> From: "David Weiner" <djwein at earthlink.net>
>> Man, do I hate Joel Whitburn!
>> http://membran.net/Serien_Label/Jazz_Blues/Jazz_in_the_Charts/index.html
>
> Actually there are 100 CDs of good stuff here, but I find no info
> specifying they did the selection via Pop Memories.  It is not as if
> each CD is one year.  As we all know, jazz was not really the best
> selling records in those (or nearly any) years, so it is not as if these
> are picking the top selling records.  They might be picking the "best
> selling" JAZZ records, but I do not have Pop Memories so I can not tell
> if that is the case.
> Any indication of price of these?  Are the perhaps in one or two huge
> boxes for a small price per disc?
>
> Of course, if they DO quote Whitburn . . .

I own a number of 10-CD "box sets" issued by Membran (actually,
"Membran Documents!"). They seem to be taking full advantage of
the 50-year copyright term outside "Bono-Land!" A local music store
here in Oshawa, Ont'o., Canada sells their 10-CD, 200+ track sets
for Cdn$21.99...picked up a nice Waller set, a 200-track compilation
of old blues, and most recently a nice Nat King Cole box, mostly
the Trio...including some rarities I'd probably never find on the
original 78's/transcriptions...!

...stevenc