[78-L] Columbia Record DIscography

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 10 08:56:26 PST 2008

Chris Zwarg wrote:
> At 17:06 10.11.2008, you wrote:
>> According to the data you gave in this list, this recording was from 1908, Mexico City.
>> A Victor discography states that the same band, recorded the same piece, in 1907, so I am wondering...
>> Is it possible that Victor sold the recording to Columbia Records in order to market it outside USA?
>
> Nope, certainly not! If there are two companies in this world that NEVER shared/exchanged masters, it's Columbia and Victor!!

And yet today they're one and the same company (Sony/BMG). Incidentally, there
ARE examples of recordings appearing on the "wrong" label, after the EMI
formation. Beecham's recording of "Don Quixote" with the New York Philharmonic
came out on Victor in the US and Columbia (where he was under contract) in
England and a couple of Gracie Fields sides appeared on English Columbia and
Canadian Victor in 1940 (Gracie was normally on Regal Zonophone at that time).