[78-L] Tops Record, is this an LP 78?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Nov 10 07:51:32 PST 2008

I certainly didn't think this thread would turn into a "Can You Tops
This?" fest of trying to bring up examples of earlier narrow-groove
longer-playing 78s.  Of course the king is the Edison LP of 1926 with
the narrowest grooving of 450 threads that would play longer than modern
microgroove records but still spun at 80 RPM.  In the early 50s,
Audiophile Records took advantage of the potential higher frequency
response of microgrooves coupled with the higher surface speed of 78 and
produced a series of super high fidelity discs.  The Soviets began their
microgroove LP series with some of the records running at 33 but some
running at 78.  I have perhaps 25 of their early 8-inch 78 microgroove
records which can approach 10 minutes per side.  The numbers are
intermixed into a single numerical series, and catalogs and
discographies don't indicate the speeds of the individual records, only
the labels do.  Later on they added the speed to the prefix, 33D, but by
then they had stopped making the microgroove 78s anyway.  The irony is
that the shellac the Soviets used at that time for their standard groove
discs was quieter than the vinyl used on the LPs!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com