[78-L] Edison Diamond Disc Enquiry.

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Sun Nov 9 14:57:55 PST 2008

Earl - not sure which songs you're talking about but the possibility would exist early in the production of these. Early releases of these classical and operatics were not issued with the "Explanatory Talk" and were paired with other songs.  Then there was a time when they were issued single sided, followed by being double sided again with the Explanatory Talk.  I even have several examples of when they first started adding Humphrey's talk and the label was not yet imprinted into this side of the disc, just his talk and a matrix number with a blank center.

So the time when the song was first recorded until they finally added Humphrey's talks could easily be 8-9 months with these early ones.  If they were later songs I have no idea why there could be such a delay.

I've been spending a lot of time in NYC lately but can't make it in this week unfortunately.

Glenn

(2) The time gap between the recording of the music and Humphrey's
'explanation' can be as short as a month, but is often up to 8-9
months. Does anyone know anything about the process of issuing
Edison's Diamond discs that would account for the sometimes long gap
between the music recording and the issue of the finished record. I'm
assuming that the 'old man' himself had to give his approval at some
point, but apart from that...

Earl Okin.