[78-L] turnover instructions

Martin Fenton mafenton at talktalk.net
Wed Nov 5 03:36:26 PST 2008

One of Stanley Lupino's Decca 78s ends with an uncredited voice saying
something like, "Are we going to meet this girl?" and Lupino replying,
"Yes, she's on the other side of the record."

One of the Goons 78s ends with Bluebottle escaping onto the other side
through the hole in the middle.

(From the LP era, Tony Hancock instructs the listener to turn the record
over in "Pieces of Hancock" (and at the end of side 2 tells the listener
to remove the stylus, followed by a long pause, after which he says,
"There's no more." Meanwhile, "A Song For You" by The Carpenters closes
side 1 with an elaborate choral piece whose lyrics are "We'll be right
back after we've gone to the bathroom." This scared the living daylights
out of me when I first heard it as an infant, which might have had as
much to do with the ghostly end-of-side distortion on my parents'
worn-to-death copy as anything else.)

Pardon my being non-specific about the 78s. I don't have the actual
records to hand at the moment, and can't remember which ones the above
quotes appear on.

--
Mart.