[78-L] The 5 most influential 78s ever

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Oct 30 22:14:38 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <fnarf at comcast.net>
> From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
>> 3) The ODJB disc already cited
>>
>> Why? This disc introduced the sounds of "jas/ss/z/zz" to a public ready
>> hear it...MUCH faster than one, or a few, bands playing the stuff ever
>> could
>> have done...!
>
> Not to be contrary -- I love this thread -- but is this really true? How
> many copies did these records really sell? The ODJB had some very
> successful engagements in both Chicago and New York, and had been playing
> a wildly popular residency at Reisenweber's Cafe for quite some time
> before recording. Obviously jazz was already very popular in New Orleans
> by then, and also some of the other riverfront towns reachable by
> steamboats. How much did these live performances, as well as other
> "jazz-like" turns in vaudeville shows, spark demand, versus the playing of
> records?
>
> By the time of the big band era, records could reach a huge audience by
> way of radio, but not in 1917.
> Anybody know sales figures for "Livery Stable Blues" in its original
> issue?
> I'm loving this thread, btw.

I don't know the EXACT figure (which is presumably in Victor's files...?),
but it sold EXTREMELY
well (judging from how UN-rare it is to-day, if nothing else...?!)

Also, remember that in 1917 the band's popularity in NYC, Chicago and N.O.
would have
influenced ONLY the music fans in those three cities...! 99.9% of the US
"public" would
have never heard the band or its style had not the record been
available...?!

...stevenc