[78-L] The 5 most influential 78s ever

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Thu Oct 30 21:38:24 PDT 2008

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>

> 3) The ODJB disc already cited
>
> Why? This disc introduced the sounds of "jas/ss/z/zz" to a public ready to
> hear it...MUCH faster than one, or a few, bands playing the stuff ever could
> have done...!

Not to be contrary -- I love this thread -- but is this really true? How many copies did these records really sell? The ODJB had some very successful engagements in both Chicago and New York, and had been playing a wildly popular residency at Reisenweber's Cafe for quite some time before recording. Obviously jazz was already very popular in New Orleans by then, and also some of the other riverfront towns reachable by steamboats. How much did these live performances, as well as other "jazz-like" turns in vaudeville shows, spark demand, versus the playing of records?

By the time of the big band era, records could reach a huge audience by way of radio, but not in 1917.

Anybody know sales figures for "Livery Stable Blues" in its original issue?

I'm loving this thread, btw.

--
Steve