[78-L] New Mayfair violins

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Mon Oct 27 13:56:00 PDT 2008

Listening to Vivian Ellis' "My Heart Is Saying" with The New Mayfair
Orchestra (under Ray Noble, December 6th 1929) I'm surprised to hear what
sounds like a violin "solo" played by more than one of the three violinists
in the orchestra (they are Eric Siday, Reg Pursglove and Jean Pougnet).
Can anyone confirm? (The song was issued on HMV B5756 and is featured on the
Saville Records LP "Harmony Heaven - The New Mayfair Dance Orchestra" SVL
162.)
And how common was it that solos were played in unison in dance music at the
time?
BTW: It swings quite nicely.
Kristjan