[78-L] Allen Burns & His Orchestra..who he?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Oct 26 21:27:03 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> I've answered my own question, but Mr. Rust didn't make it easy. Banner
> 32663,
> mx 12882 & 12883, Night And Day/When the Morning Comes Around. Allen Burns
> &
> His Orchestra, vocal by Elmer Feldkamp. Rust cross-references Allen Burns
> "ARC Studio Bands" and then skips from 12873 to 12976 under that heading.
> But
> he lists the sides under Freddie Martin (which was who I figured it was),
> and
> notes that this was indeed issued as Allen Burns. Thanks for the chase,
> Brian!

As you SHOULD know...between 1930 and mid-1936, ARC assigned ALL
sorts of credits to their studio-band sides...which were Adrian Schubert
until
mid-1930, theoretically others until c.1932, and Freddy Martin from then
until  sometime in  1936, when a younger demographic of record buyers
began to demand not only specific TUNES...but specific VERSIONS
thereof! Several different bandleaders were apparently responsible for
the "studio-band sides" (ALL using stock arrangements...!)!

...stevenc