[78-L] WTF: "half-cast president" - was: Does anybody really know what time it is? ^

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Sun Oct 26 11:12:47 PDT 2008

I believe he is referring to the rumors that Harding had an African-American grandparent. These rumors, which were of course dramatically more charged in the Klan-infested 1920s when they were originally promulgated by racists concerned with things like "pollution of the bloodlines". The truth is unknown, probably unknowable.

The term "half-caste" is unfortunate. It's funny how "one drop of black blood" makes you black, but a white grandfather (or father) doesn't make you white.

I can't imagine why this subject would be coming up in 2008, can you?

There's a good article on the Harding rumor here: http://tinyurl.com/62wxrt

--
Steve.

From: buster <busterdog at mac.com>