[78-L] Pop Corfman's Graveliers

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 24 16:28:52 PDT 2008

Glenn Longwell wrote:
> I got the following question from someone today.  Anyone ever hear of this band?  Don't know what type of music it was.  Couldn't find anything in what little I have for discography books.
> Thanks,
> Glenn
>

> My great grandfather and grandfather were in a musical group in the 1940's called Pop Corfman's Graveliers. I have been told they produced records and my dad said he used to have some. They have hundreds of old 78 recordings but none of Pop Corfmans. I was wondering if you have ever come across any? If not, any thoughts on how I might track one down? Thanks for your time. Dave Corfman.

I found ONE link to the Corfman Graveliers, an obit from 2000 from a newspaper
in Tiffin, Ohio:

Walter A. Von Blon
Retired mechanic

Walter A. Von Blon, 88, of 202 W. Seventh St., Sycamore, died at 10:47 a.m.
Monday, Nov. 6, 2000, in Wyandot Memorial Hospital, Upper Sandusky.

He was born March 20, 1912, in Wyandot County, to William and Ethel (Hall) Von
Blon. He first married Catherine Swerline in 1934, and they were later
divorced. His second wife, Marie (Ekleberry) Von Blon, whom he married in 1954,
died April 22, 1974. His close companion of 24 years, Mrs. Catherine Van
Hoosier, died in February, 2000.

Surviving are a son, Gene B. Von Blon of rural McCutchenville; four
grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren; a brother, Clarence E. Von Blon of
Sycamore; and a sister, Mrs. Garland Hall, also of Sycamore.

Mr. Von Blon, a retired mechanic, worked for the Sycamore Garage, Simonis
Chevrolet and Stover's Gulf, all of Sycamore.

A member of the Protestant Faith, he also worked as a former manager of the
Garden Theatre in Frankfurt, Mich. for 10 years and at the Corfman Gravel Company.

A World War II U.S. Navy veteran, he also was a member of the Corfman
Graveliers and Sycamore American Legion Post 250, where he was a life member.

The Rev. Edgar W. Shelly will conduct the 11 a.m. Thursday graveside service in
Pleasant Ridge Cemetery, Sycamore, where military graveside services will be
conducted by Sycamore American Legion.

There will be no visitation. The Walton-Moore Funeral Home, Sycamore, is in
charge of arrangements.

Memorials may be made to Sycamore American Legion Post 250 or the Mohawk
Historical Society.

Any recordings they made were probably private pressings. The Legion might have
a lead..that's about it.