[78-L] Grappelly.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 21 15:37:26 PDT 2008

Hi!

I was lucky enough to share the stage with Stephane Grappelly once.
There were four of us in the front line and I'm the only survivor now.
The other two were Larry Adler and my old friend, Adelaide Hall.
(Diz Disley was in the accompanying band).

I think that he was spelling his name Grappelli by then, by the way,
for some reason.

He was indeed a fine player of Jazz violin, but not the only one.
Let's not forget Eddie South, Stuff Smith and Ray Nance, not to
mention the daddy of them all...Joe Venuti!

That said, have you ever heard the violin solos that DJANGO himself recorded!?

Earl.

"Now, now, David,

I happen to think Stephane Grappelly was one of the, if not the ONLY,
good, if not great jazz violinists.  Together he and Django made some
great recordings.

Glad you agree with me on the Manure - uh, Menuhin bit.  He really
was a bore, wasnt he?  The least one can say about him is, he wasn't
no Heifetz!

Howard"