[78-L] Black CD-Rs

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Thu Oct 16 14:33:05 PDT 2008

At 23:09 16.10.2008, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>On 16/10/2008 Swamp Daddy wrote;
>
>SD> They look a bit better to my way of thinking; but, I can't recall
>SD> what the benefits were supposed to be.
>
>I believe they were primarily produced for the Playstation market.
>I've seen many copies of PS games that have been put on these discs.
>With a bit of graphics work, they can pass as originals if you don't
>look too closely.
>
>As far as I am aware, they confer no special advantages in technical
>terms.
>
>Graeme Jaye

I seem to remember the Playstation checks the color of the disc internally and won't run with ordinary silver or gold CD-Rs, as a sort of copy/piracy protection. For audio use, there's no difference AFAIK, except the disadvantage that you can't check the burning result visually for "blind spots" caused by dust etc. (as is possible under strong light with most ordinary CD-Rs).

Chris Zwarg