[78-L] Concert pitch (was: no subject)

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 16 08:35:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 08:13 -0700, Michael Biel wrote:

> Ah Ha!  This might be where the videotape I have of the Rangertone
> chimes comes in.  The assumption would be that this has to be at the
> correct playback speed to maintain sync.

Assuming that the original tape isn't stretched or otherwise
dimensionally changed, yes. I believe videotape has some sort of
sync-pulse signal to maintain correct playback speed relative to the
recording speed.

This is one of the reasons I have tried, without success, to obtain a
direct digital recording from the output of any surviving Rangertone
machine for the past three years. I have a contact who is retired from
WTAM Cleveland and who has their Rangertones in his home in downstate
Illinois. Actually getting a copy from the gentleman has been difficult
due to his health, however. But a digital WAV recording would have its
own time-correction signal built in from the original recording, so it
would maintain absolute playback speed relative to the recording.

Michael "All This Trouble For Three Little Notes" Shoshani
Chicago