[78-L] Concert pitch (was: no subject)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Oct 16 08:13:16 PDT 2008

From: Michael Shoshani <mshoshani at sbcglobal.net>

>This provides a pitfall for radio collectors who attempt to adjust the
playback speed of transcriptions of this era by pitching them at A=440.
The only corrrect way of adjusting the speed is to pitch the record so
that the notes (usually C-A-F on the Deagan 20 or G-E-C on the Deagan
200) are at A=435.

> NBC went to electrically-operated chimes after the hand-struck chimes
were phased out; I don't know whether these are A=435 or A=440, because
I have yet to hear a recording of these chimes that I can know with
absolute certainty are played back at the same speed at which they were
recorded.

MS  >

Ah Ha!  This might be where the videotape I have of the Rangertone
chimes comes in.  The assumption would be that this has to be at the
correct playback speed to maintain sync.  But I still haven't gotten
around to dubbing it to disc for you yet.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com