[78-L] Orville Knapp

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 10:36:07 PDT 2008

The $7 Victor record of the 'Sextet' from LUCIA has 'Speed 82' printed
on the label.

Undoubtedly Victor and Gramophone/EMI both had varispeed playback
turntables in use by the time they began doing electrical overdubbings
on Caruso and other records, so as to match the original recordings to
what was being overdubbed.   Surely the playback and recording
turntables ran at the same speed for that Lawrence Tibbett material
(which I don't have and have never heard), and later for the Sidney
Bechet multiple (which I do have).

I was quite surprised to learn here via Chris Zwarg recently how quite
often dubbings for reissues in the 78 era were even further off-speed
than the originals were!  One would have thought they'd have tried to
play the originals back as accurately in speed as they could, so at
least the music would be pitch-accurate going into the dubbing
recorder.