[78-L] Orville Knapp

J.F. Bennett citypointsb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 22:21:56 PDT 2008

DL,

  Oh there must have been a few nuts like us back then. In Old Blighty E.M.
Ginn was making a go of it in the early thirties was it? His market was the
audiophile wasn't it? I assume the folks who bought his Gramophones were
interested in proper playback. Yet In the short time I've been in the hobby
I don't ever recall mention of discussions of proper speeds or improved
playback in the era of the acoustic talking machine or the very ealry
electric era.
  If by the mid to late thirties there were clubs and societies involved
with re-issues of early acoustic Operatic (mostly) recordings ther must have
been discussions of various playback speeds by then surely?
  I'd love to read Shaw's take on phonograph speeds. Where would one find
it? It's not from Pygmalion is it?

Phonographically,

John B.