[78-L] Prices in the current Major Depression...

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Oct 13 21:44:57 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Miller" <smille1 at nycap.rr.com>
> OK first...
> The "Rainbow" pressing I speak of is just like a typical double sided
> "Patents" pressing, type face, label type and thinner shellac just as you
> say.  Just like the Turner disc you found.  A mystery indeed.
> Well, I left in a sudden rush yesterday mostly because I had been up for
> over eight hours without eating any more than a granola (not grafonola)
> bar
> and a coffee.  A fellow collector there wanted to go grab lunch and I
> wanted
> to leave, so off to the "Pompton Queen" diner for a great lunch before
> hitting 287 north to 87 north on home.  Had I known, I wouldn't have
> rushed
> after all, the Thruway was backed up from 287 for 20 miles to Harriman.  I
> sat in traffic for nearly two hours, as long as it should have taken me to
> get back to Albany!
> Perhaps my springs were overwound, I did pick up two phonos I had bought
> prior to the show.  One of which is a nice HMV orthophonic type machine
> that
> I spent today cleaning up and just now played an HMV of "Half Caste Woman"
> by Noel Coward I picked up there for a buck.  Prices on machines have
> certainly dropped in a few areas, there were two nice Victor Schoolhouse
> machines for $2500, about $500 less than I paid for mine five years ago
> (and
> at the time, THAT was a deal!).  Some other machines still had high asking
> prices, but the only machine I actually saw sell was a table model Victor
> IX
> (inside horn) in oak and in very nice shape for $190.  There were other
> nicely priced machines there that hadn't sold as of 1PM-ish when I left
> and
> several vendors there I spoke with said sales were way off.  Didn't see
> much
> traffic at Kurt Nauck's table with his books.  Most of the record guys
> were
> selling stuff, but the crowds were much smaller than usual.  I did pick up
> the Archeophone CD of "Debate '08" which I listened to while in gridlock
> on
> 87, the transfers are fantastic as usual and I highly recommend it.
> Seemed
> most buyers yesterday were more browsers than anything, including me,
> although I did find a really clean Eddie Morton two minute cylinder for
> $10
> that should have been long gone by the time I saw it!  I usually spend
> $500
> at the Wayne show every time.  This time I spend just over $100.  Sign of
> the times, I guess, but I won't get political about it all!

Am I correct in assuming that the RECORD...rather than the machine...cost
$1.00...?!

Nevertheless...as we enter the replay of 1929-1939...one of the first bits
of
"discretionary spending" to disappear will be the "luxury" (i.e. one can't
eat
them , usw.!) purchases...!

Therefore, the absurdly OVER-inflated prices asked for "rare" analog
phonorecords...LP's, 45's and 78's...should, along with the careers of
countless MBA graduates, become freakin' HISTORY...!

...na und?!

...stevenc