[78-L] Mit-Out Sound

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 13 09:58:20 PDT 2008

Hmm..I kinda like this one (WackyPackia, I know, I know) which places the
origin with Fritz Lang or Ernst Lubitsch:

<A popular (presumed to be mythical) origin is that MOS stands for either "Mit
Out Sprechen" or "Mit Out Sound," a broken-English phrasing meaning "Without
sound," as a 1920s German-emigré director might have said it.

According to this theory, a German director, recently transplanted to Hollywood
(probably Ernst Lubitsch, but possibly Fritz Lang), was asked by a script
supervisor how he would like to shoot the next scene of the day. The director
responded "Mit Out Sprechen!", and so this was noted as a joke on the
production reports and the camera slates for the shot. This myth ignores the
fact that in German the word for "without" is "ohne"; it is highly improbable
that a person speaking German as his first language would mistakenly say "mit
out" for "without".

dl