[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 1, Issue 42

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Mon Oct 13 09:50:08 PDT 2008

Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. My assumption (I know... I know) was that
the production team rented the gramophone as a prop or borrowed it from
a private owner, not that it was found in their in-house prop
department. I know of at least one store in New York that rents out
period electronics (microphones, mostly) to television and film
projects. They also have (had?) a couple of thousand 78s for sale, six
years ago.
Point is that if it came from an outside source, the owner might be able
to help silence it.
BTW, stuffing the horn, or anywhere along the acoustic transmission
chain, would still leave a high frequency acoustic artifact coming from
the reproducer head itself; which would be no good from a recording
standpoint.

*******