[78-L] Mit-Out Sound

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Oct 12 23:01:04 PDT 2008

From: "DanKj" <edisone1 at verizon.net>
> Motor-only sync, is what I've read.

This makes no sense because if there is no sound being recorded there is
nothing to sync with.

From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault at verizon.net>
>> MOS, Mute onstage sound?

Makes even less sense!

> "Mit Out Sound" is more amusing, of
> course !

Quite true, and I think that it IS quite true.  See below.

>> A scene shot
>> with sound is SOF or Sound on Film. Maybe they used
>> MOS instead of "Silent" because they wanted another
>> three-letter acronym to go with SOF, I dunno.

Only cheap TV stations and film schools used things like Auricons which
record the sound on the film during filming.  REAL pros always use
double-system sound which records the sound on a separate medium, such
as mag-film, quarter-inch tape or digital tape.  So the opposite of SOF
is "double-system", not "silent".  One other phrase to mention is "wild
sound" which is sound that recorded without any synchronization with the
camera.

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>>>Is there any truth to the oft-told story that the
>> term MOS dates back
>>>to many years ago when a producer of ethnic
>> background said that >he wanted the scene shot MIT OUT
>> SOUND?
>>>
>>>dl

The director in question was Erich Von Stroheim, and I heard this story
from professionals who were old enough to have been there.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com