[78-L] New World Ballads

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 12 08:42:14 PDT 2008

DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> Have we established that 130847 and 130848 were never issued?
>
> db

No reason to assume that, especially since the label styles differ between
parts 3/4 and 5/6. Victor's Canadian recording activity was incredibly sparse
in those days, except for country (all of it on Bluebird), The Skaters Band (on
a special two-dollar S-200 label) and a few dance bands. I can't date Reginald
Stewart's Victors or the Al & Bob Harvey Bluebird disc because Victor didn't
change to a standard run-out groove until late in 1938. Ernest Seitz's two
ten-inch Victors could be 1940 or 1941..there are so few numbers being used in
this series. 130847 and 130848 could be anything, including some British titles
for which the series was originally intended.