[78-L] Victor Light Opera Jazz Band/Not Shilkret!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Oct 10 20:00:52 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <SUPRBATONE at aol.com>
> Indeed - As a matter o' fact, listening to Vi 35677 again, this "jazz" is
> also totally "punk" - the energy is unbelievable.  It seems to look
> forward to
> the Sex Pistols as much as the ODJB (Nick La Rocca meets Sid Vicious)! The
> Victor orchestra sure never made any records like this on their own.

I also own a 1915 recording by the Victor Military Band (of course, I have
long since forgotten the details...?!) which also audibly suggests that the
(house band) players were aware of...and had heard..."jazz" music (and
this was BEFORE the ODJB recordings...?!)

Of course, the energy was one of the main points of "jazz"...and was, in
fact,
one of the reasons it attracted listeners (and, in much-altered form, took
over
"pop" music in the next decade or so...?!)!

However...and here I shall have to admit to a degree of ignorance...to my
ears
most early "punk" was primarily based on the fact that its players were
trying
to prove the (anti-Thatcher...?!) point...that being that, since other
income
sources had been deleted by Ms. Thatcher, the only available career path
was becoming a "pop" musician...and their relative incompetence in that
field
simply proved their political point!!

In fact, I heard MUCH more "energy" in the early recordings of various
"metalloid" bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, as well as later
material by Deep Purple...?!

...stevenc