[78-L] Re; 78's to Computers

Ken Matheson kenmath at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 17:58:28 PDT 2008

Most of you out there have a lot more experience than
me at transferring 78’s to CD’s. I have Sound Forge 9,
and I find it does not remove the really bad pops without
leaving some residual. So I listen to the recording after I
have put it into a wave format, and when I come to a bad
pop I expand the wave out and, copy the other channel,
or copy and past a cleaner wave form from near by, or after
highlighting the offending pop hit replace, or manually
rebuilding the wave. Then I will take the best track and
copy it to the other side. After doing that I use click and
crackel remover. I usually get a very good recording when
done. The bad part is sometimes it takes 3 or 4 hours to do.
I have heard professionally restored 78’s that are not as
good. It is not easy transferring 78’s to the computer and
getting as good quality as one might expect. I have also
found that using the correct input level to the sound card,
and the proper record level when recording the wav file
helps a lot. I have found using –6DB peek works better
than 0DB. When you transfer a recording to a CD, or MP3
player you can adjust the level.