[78-L] New World Ballads

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Oct 10 19:28:49 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "DAVID BURNHAM" <burnhamd at rogers.com>
> I've just come across some discs in an apparent series called "New World
> Ballads". Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 are by the "Westhill High School Singers",
> parts 5 and 6 are by the Alumnae Choir of Toronto conducted by Leslie
> Bell. The record numbers are Victor 130845, 130846 and 130849. I'm curious
> to know when and where these were recorded. In the "Almost complete 78
> dating guide", the Victor 130000 series aren't given a date and are
> indicated to be Canadian Victor pressings of British recordings. That must
> only refer to earlier numbers in the series because these certainly aren't
> British. It appears that there may be two sets here and that the first 2
> records of the Alumnae Choir of Toronto set are missing, (records
> 130847-8?). Is anyone familiar with these records?

VERY curious...since Canadian recording issued prior to the "##-####" era
SHOULD have
been 216### if commercially issued (as were all the 130### discs, being 12"
records using
British masters...?!). OTOH...if these were in fact PRIVATE recordings, they
SHOULD
have had either "PR-*" numbers, or borne their matrix numbers in lieu of
catalog numbers...?!

...stevenc