[78-L] recording times

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Oct 9 11:44:40 PDT 2008

Swamp Daddy wrote:
> Al:  When did you get your 3-speed deck?  Mine came to me well used in 1961 as I recall.   I never had a good "new" reel to reel.
>
> Swamp Daddy

Are you saying that your machine was not a Wollensak but was a
Tandberg??  Al's 6000X was relatively late, styled with sharp edged
corners, and came out around 1971 which matches what Al replied.   The
first Tandbergs to hit the U.S. shores came here around 1960, the models
4  and 5, had very rounded corners.  The styling changed to squarer
cabinets with rounded edges with the model 6 and all the two-digit
models during the rest of the 60s.  The four digit models came starting
around 1970.  All of these were three speed machines but never had 15
IPS as a third speed.  They were always 7 1/2, 3 3/4 and 1 7/8.
Norelco, Telefunken, Uher, Grundig, and a couple of other European
machines then started to arrive after the first Tandbergs.  Uher might
have been one of the first to add 15/16 around 1969.  This was the speed
and the brand machine that was used by Nixon!  A couple of American
machines started to add the 3rd speed in 1961 and 2, and then Sony added
it around 1967.

In addition to all the catalogs I have, the easiest first place to look
for info is the book I mentioned earlier, "Evolution of the Audio
Recorder" by Phil Van Praag.   Nauck's still stocks it.

Mike (do I get a commission, Kurt??) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com