[78-L] recording times

Sam Brylawski goodlistening at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 08:31:24 PDT 2008

Mike,

This history is fascinating. I'm not aware of a comprehensive, or
near-comprehensive, print source. Is there one? (if not, get to work!)

I had never heard the story about the Library of Congress having any
impact on cassette mfgs or standards. Where does that come from? (FYI
to others, when Mike refers to LC having this impact he is referring
specifically to what was once called the Blind Division, or something
similar. It is now the National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped. Even the U.S. Congress has little clout to
influence private sector standards when they appy to entertainment,
but with an important constituency and program behind them, it
obviously can have an effect.) Presently, the NLSBPH is developing its
own digital player for the disabled.

Sam

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 1:49 AM, Michael Biel <mbiel at mbiel.com> wrote:
> Swamp Daddy wrote:
>> Joe:  Do you recall the days when casette decks had 2, and even 3, speeds?   Current decks have only one, the ultra slow 1-7/8ths ips.   Mine (an old Sharp) has 3-3/4 and 1-7/8 ips speeds (and I use the higher speed for my work).  When this deck fails again (it has been repaired a number of times), I may have to consider other means.
>>
> As you will see below, this machine comes late in cassette history.
> With one exception, cassette machines were 1 7/8 only throughout the 60s
> and most of the 70s.

[SNIP]