[78-L] sleeve date needed

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Oct 9 11:16:33 PDT 2008

Erwin Kluwer wrote:
> anybody who can give an approx date of this sleeve...?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/78-RPM-record-sleeve-Talking-Machine-extremely-rare_W0QQitemZ260296346486QQihZ016QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is indeed early.  Ray Wile might be the one to try to date it via
the Phila address because he has noted the locations of the company
offices in the Phila/Camden area and might have noted store addresses.
Maybe a Phila person could check the phone books or business
directories.   It would be great if the picture was in focus and we
could read the small lettering, but it ain't worth over a hundred bucks
to see it!!  I'd say it was before 1910 but that is only a guess.  This
is a dealer sleeve of the type that became common in England, Denmark,
and a few other European countries but not too common here in the U.S.
For the record, this sleeve notes The Talking Machine Co. is the
"exclusive showrooms for Victor" at 143 S. Broad. and the N.E. corner of
Broad and Columbia.  The first one is right by City Hall.  What's there
now?  The second one is where Temple University is now.  This location
is a block or so below Russel Conwell's Baptist Temple.  That specific
corner is where the riot in the Summer of 1964 was centered.  When I
arrived to start my freshman year there, the police riot command trailer
was still parked in the middle of campus.  (Maybe the community was
pissed off because they couldn't get their spring Victrolas repaired
there anymore.)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com