[78-L] recording times

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 01:03:23 PDT 2008

Changing the subject from cassette to reel to reel specs for those long gone
days of yesteryear, I have an old three speed Tandberg 6000X  reel to reel
in the basement which recorded at 1 7/8, 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 IPS. Even at 1 7/8
it delivered freqency response of 50 to 9,000 hz. +/- 2 dB.  S/N ratio was
64 dB at 7 1/2 IPS.  Amazing decks for the time. .  At 7 1/2 IPS frequency
response was 40-20,000 Hz +- 2dB.   It handled 1200 or 1800 ft reels and
could record in stereo or four channel mono.
Tandbergs were cutting edge back in those early 70's, and if I recall, it's
specs outdistanced all consumer tape technologies at that time.

Al Simmons