[78-L] Victor Light Opera Jazz Band??

SUPRBATONE at aol.com SUPRBATONE at aol.com
Thu Oct 9 00:51:28 PDT 2008

I just acquired a nice copy of the 12" Victor 35677 - "Gems from 'Rainbow
Girl'" by the Victor Light Opera Company, c. 1918.  Imagine my surprise when
three-quarters of the way through this pleasant and predictable side, the normally
staid Victor house orchestra suddenly breaks into the most madly raucus
instrumental "jazz" imaginable (for them), complete with raspy cornet, tailgate
trombone, wild clarinet and rat-a-tat syncopated drumming!  Such an outburst is
the last thing I ever expected to hear on one of these show digests, especially
from the acoustic era.  They really have at it, too - this music just jumps
out at you. It is at least twice as loud as anything else on the side.

It was no accident.  The label reads:

 "Chorus, "My Rainbow Girl: - Solo, "Just You alone" - Duet, "I'll Think of
You" - JAZZ ORCHESTRA (my caps), "Mister Drummer Man" - Finale, "I'll Think of
You."

There is of course jazz by the V.L.O.C. much later in their career (1928-'29)
on "Gems From Show Boat," (Vi 35912) with Bix Beiderbecke on cornet; and
"Gems From Hold Everything" (Vi 35970) with some hot trumpet from Mike Mosiello.
But this 1918 side beats 'em all.

Anybody know anything about this?  The exact recording date? Who's making
this "jazz"?  Was a "Jazz Orchestra" featured in the actual show?

Inquiring minds and all that.

-  Brad Kay     <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's
happening at your destination.  Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it
out!<BR>      (http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000001)</HTML>