[78-L] 78s to computers

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Oct 8 20:54:36 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Rockwell" <malcolm at 78data.com>
> Back in the day (1982 or so) I was beginning to get interested in
> computers we used to store programs on audio cassette. I had, and still
> have, a Timex-Sinclair rig (with a full keyboard) and 16 whole K of
> memory that required data to be stored this way.

I recently re-found my old assembly-language textbook (copyright
1973...!) It says, talking about the IBM 360 (the most common
mainframe system, and the one I learned on at Illinois State  U.)...

IBM 360 systems can have varying amounts of system memory
installed...but very few actually have as much as one million
bytes of memory installed...(?!)

Yup...just thirty-five years ago...?! Now, higher-end home computers
routinely have four BILLION bytes...I have no idea what a REALLY
high-end mainframe system might have...?!

"Thanks For the Memory" (or something like that...?!)