[78-L] 78s to computers

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Wed Oct 8 17:01:25 PDT 2008

Swamp Daddy wrote:
> Mal:  A lot of fairly modern dictation machines run at that speed.   Once they realized that voice needs little bandwidth or fidelity they peaked the electronics for voice and halved the speed again to 15/16 ips.   Hours on a typical tape.

Thanks! I knew I wasn't dreaming.
> I once bought a fairly cheap recorder that was geared even lower; so you could record your favorite 3 or 4 hour talk radio show on a typical 90 minute casette.   Sounded terrible; but, yes you could understand it.  The wife liked it for her shows that she could then take to work and listen to.

Back in the day (1982 or so) I was beginning to get interested in
computers we used to store programs on audio cassette. I had, and still
have, a Timex-Sinclair rig (with a full keyboard) and 16 whole K of
memory that required data to be stored this way. I had a variable speed
cassette machine that allowed me to play back info at ~4X the record
speed thus making my uploads relatively quick. Well... faster, anyhow.

> ON RECORDING METHODS FOR TRANSFERING:  The basic thing I am getting here is that each person has evolved a system to fit their needs.  Which is what's all about anyway -- satisfying yourself.  If you go commercial then you have to satisfy others in a wider audience.

Yes, indeed!
Mal