[78-L] Sorta speaking of LP sleeves, now Miller AM tuners

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Oct 8 18:31:50 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Swamp Daddy" <swampdaddy at bellsouth.net>
> Don:  Well, so there are two of us old pack rats left around.   I don't
> think any modern tuner can equal the Miller for AM.  Yep, the Miller 595
> was a 3-stage TRF.  I currently use the easy way, a plain, 75' external
> wire for the antenna; and, a good outdoor ground system.
>
> However, I found an article in a stack of old "Radio Electronics"
> magazines for winding a high gain indoor AM antenna which is rotatable for
> directional reception.  Eventually, I'll make one of these.

You can also build a "pi-section" antenna tuner to match your receiver input
to your antenna! I built one of these, and used it to great advantage, MANY
years ago when I was doing medium-wave dx'ing with my Philco 38-9...!

Basically, you wind about 300 turns of fine copper wire on a paper-towel
cardboard roll...with a tap every hundred turns. Then, you use a couple of
am-band variable capacitors (365 uufd, IIRC...standard AM-radio tuning
capacitors)...connecting one to the first tap and the other one to the
second. The "ground" side of both are connected together. I can't draw
the schematic with ASCII, though!

Your antenna connects to one end of the coil, and your receiver's ANT
terminal to the other. The ground side of the variables connects to the
GND terminal of your receiver.

This was the same circuitry my ham transmitter used to match my
transmitting antenna. IIRC, I saw this in a VERY old copy of
Popular Electronics...? However, carefully adjusting both capacitors
DID improve reception...!

...stevenc