[78-L] Sorta speaking of LP sleeves

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Oct 8 18:17:46 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Swamp Daddy" <swampdaddy at bellsouth.net>
> Well, Al, I mostly agree with you; but, the topic wasn't how we listen to
> 78s but how we can transfer to computer for digitizing.  And, everyone
> knows, "real amps glow in the dark".   Although I admit I've fallen off
> the tube bandwagon as my old MC60 McIntosh tube amps finally gave it up
> about 5 years ago after 30+ years of service.  Servicing them was just
> becoming too expensive.

Actually, the main difference between tube audio and solid-state audio is
the fact that
a tube amp provides more listenable distortion than does a solid-state amp!

I discovered this more or less :the hard way! I also play blues
harmonica...and
when one does that, one intentionally turns one's amplifier until it
overdrives
and the signal distorts. Doing this with a tube amp (I have two for just
this
reason...!) provides a sound which is both "authentic" and
listenable...OTOH,
doing this with a solid-state amp (I have one, used as a "practice amp!")
produces a nasty, irritating sound...!

...stevenc