[78-L] Re: Fwd: alt [was Montréal^] [FWD ]

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Wed Oct 8 01:19:02 PDT 2008

At 09:18 08.10.2008, you wrote:
>Does anybody know what the codes are for the Hungarian double umlaut?
>Looks like quotation marks leaning to the right, and is used over o and u.
>Never been able to find them....
>
>Mike in Plovdiv

You need to use Unicode-supporting software (unlike my Email, so I can't demonstrate it here), and you'll have to switch to "Hungarian" keyboard setting to type them. They are on the same keys used for Umlauts on a German keyboard IIRC.

The common ASCII/HTML codes we have discussed in the past few days cover most diacritics needed to spell Scandinavian and Western-European languages, but do NOT meed the requirements of any Eastern-European alphabet, be it Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, or Turkish. I think it shows that the "basic" character set was developed in Cold-War times by American engineers who just didn't imagine anybody behind the Iron Curtain using their computers!

Sadly, Unicode characters (a set 256 times as large as the original one and thus with ample space for all variants) cannot be accessed directly through the numerical keypad on a Windows machine, so it doesn't really help to know that the Hungarian "long ö" with two accents rather than dots is Unicode #0151 . You can still find it in the MSWord symbols list, provided that you are using a Unicode typeface.

Chris Zwarg