[78-L] kostelanetz materials donated to LC]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Oct 7 21:30:51 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Swamp Daddy" <swampdaddy at bellsouth.net>
> I can think of others like Guy Lombardo.   I guess the bands that adapted
> to public taste lasted longer than those who could not, would not change
> their repetoire.

Actually, it was...and IS...the other way around! Lombardo played the same
stuff,
in the same style, to the same fans...had he ever suddenly changed his
style, he
would have lost about 99.9% of his following! And in this day and age, the
Rolling Stones are doing exactly the same thing...!

Remember Pat Boone's ill-advised foray into punk rock...?!

However, the MOR "elevator bands" could get away with adding to their
"set lists"...as long as they didn't play TOO loud or TOO fast...?!

To me...all this "easy listening" stuff (although I CAN tolerate
Lombardo...?!)
seems to fit neatly Gertrude Stein's comment on Oakland (and yes, I know
there were reasons for her statement over & above the usually-assumed
one...?!), "There is no there there!"

...stevenc