[78-L] inner sleeves on LPs

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 7 20:30:00 PDT 2008

Michael Biel wrote:
> Randy Watts wrote:
>> When did record companies begin using inner sleeves with LPs? I don't think I've ever seen a 10-inch LP with a paper (or plastic) inner sleeve that wasn't a replacement.
>>
>> Randy
>>

> Capitol began using printed inner-sleeves for 10 and 12-inch LPs at the
> same time, around 1953.  RCA Victor used glassine sleeves for both sizes
> at about the same time.  Columbia was using printed inner-sleeves by
> 1954 for 12-inch records, but I don't think I've seen examples of 10-inch.
> The Europeans used the same type of inner-sleeves on 10- that they did
> for 12-inch but I only have retrospective knowledge of these, not first
> hand from seeing them at the time they were issued.
>
> Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com

Confirming (pretty much) my impressions, although Canadian companies were a
little slower to begin using them..also, 1954 was when Columbia and Capitol
both established their own Canadian operations instead of being distributed and
pressed by other firms.

I mentioned box sets from RCA, but I forgot that their customs pressings of
album sets (for Montilla, among others) did in fact use albums with 78-style
pockets.