[78-L] inner sleeves on LPs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Oct 7 20:25:17 PDT 2008

Randy Watts wrote:
> When did record companies begin using inner sleeves with LPs? I don't think I've ever seen a 10-inch LP with a paper (or plastic) inner sleeve that wasn't a replacement.
>
> Randy

Capitol began using printed inner-sleeves for 10 and 12-inch LPs at the
same time, around 1953.  RCA Victor used glassine sleeves for both sizes
at about the same time.  Columbia was using printed inner-sleeves by
1954 for 12-inch records, but I don't think I've seen examples of 10-inch.
The Europeans used the same type of inner-sleeves on 10- that they did
for 12-inch but I only have retrospective knowledge of these, not first
hand from seeing them at the time they were issued.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com